Tuesday, February 23, 2016

A tale of two stashes

This past winter break I decided that I was going to finally get rid of all clutter and extraneous stuff in my house. I was quite successful - I actually now have some virtually empty closets, drawers and bins. My sons enthusiastically donated or sold all remaining Hot Wheels cars, Legos and Nerf guns. I cleared out a ton of clothes and junk and just gave things a thorough going over. When Hubby died my sister came over immediately and helped me get rid of all of the "it's got to go; too darn painful" stuff like his toothbrush, his clothing etc. But most everything else had languished. I will probably NEVER finish with the garage - the guy just had too darn many tools!

Came across some surprises which were a study in contrasts - both made me say, "Oh dear..." with a blend of sadness and madness. First one was found on Christmas Day in the drawer of my desk (and I swear I have opened that drawer a zillion times and have NEVER seen this before):

Well, you can just imagine the effect this had on me ..... I still don't know what to say. I wonder when he wrote this; obviously during one of his more lucid moments. It may have been during the final three weeks of his life after the intervention at the hospital. When he was off the alcohol and actually seemed very much at peace.

The second one was - when I was cleaning out my kitchen cabinets and putting new shelf paper in, I got on a ladder and got into the very tippety-top shelf and wouldn't you know it - I found 3 shot glasses FULL of VERY OLD (4 years old) BOOZE stashed up in the darkest corner!

Wish Hubby had stashed a little bit more of the love and a little bit less of the booze... Ah well...

1 comment:

  1. My heart goes out to you, as I have had encounters of both kinds and know how it feels. Finding cards with heartfelt love on them or hiding places for booze when I have been de-cluttering - such as inside the loud speakers of a stereo system! You've got to hand it to them - they do know how to pull the heartstrings.

    ReplyDelete