Tuesday, June 9, 2015

It Just Gets Me in the Gut

Recently it seems like I am encountering folks dealing with loved ones' addiction issues all over the place. A colleague in martial arts just had his drug-addicted daughter relapse and run away leaving him and his wife with her two little babies (less than a year apart!) to care for and adopt. A colleague at work just had her drug-addicted daughter attempt suicide. A woman at church told me about her horrible home life - addicted, angry child and unsupportive husband.

It. Just. Gets. Me. In. The. Gut.

Because I remember it all too well. The awful feeling. Of nauseating despair. And I cannot help them. I can offer them advice and sympathy and a shoulder. And I know that helps.

But what really sickens me is that in these three cases at least, I know how it is going to end. Their loved one is going to die and there is nothing they can do about it. There is nothing I can do about it. I can gently suggest that they explore Al-Anon. That they read about "detachment" and other useful things. And it is so that they can prepare to say good-bye.

I know that there are happy endings often. In the cases above there will not be. I feel so awful for these friends and colleagues of mine.

But there it is....

2 comments:

  1. I know. A famous poliltician here (ex leader of the Liberal Party) has just died alone from alcoholism - see my blog. Yet another victim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - ok! I was wondering who that was!

    ReplyDelete